Monday, October 3, 2011

Concert Attendance

I often talk to my students about two "secrets" to success in music. Secret one is to practice. Secret two is to have fun. The practice thing is a no-brainer, but the challenge is to find ways to get students to want to practice while having a good time doing it.

Here's one way: concert attendance. Here in Utah County, we're blessed with the opportunity to hear many quality groups and musicians. One of the things that ignites my enthusiasm musically is to hear a great musician play a fantastic performance. Of course, not only does a good performance get us fired up, but it also shows us good examples of how to play our instruments. I know it can often be frustrating trying to get students to these things, but I believe its worth the effort.

So, I resolve to help you be aware of when there are great woodwind musical events (concerts, master classes, etc) in the area that your students can benefit from hearing. And by all means, if you know of something that I don't have, let me know and I'll try to get the word out.

Here's what's on line for October:
Oct 4: UVU Wind Symphony @ the Covey - playing a fantastic transcription of Star Wars
Oct 11: Rocky Mountain Marching Band Competition @BYU
Oct 14: Orpheus Winds, BYU faculty wind quintet @BYU Madsen 7:30 -FREE
Oct 27: BYU Symphonic Band @BYU deJong Concert Hall 7:30
Oct 29: BYU Wind Symphony @BYU deJong Concert Hall 7:30

No comments:

Post a Comment